RBD device as SBD device for pacemaker cluster
Add Reply
Kai Wagner
2018-02-06 12:00:59 UTC
Hi all,

I had the idea to use a RBD device as the SBD device for a pacemaker
cluster. So I don't have to fiddle with multipathing and all that stuff.
Have someone already tested this somewhere and can tell how the cluster
reacts on this?

I think this shouldn't be problem, but I'm just wondering if there's
anything that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Kai
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG NÌrnberg)
Wido den Hollander
2018-02-06 12:27:47 UTC
Post by Kai Wagner
Hi all,
I had the idea to use a RBD device as the SBD device for a pacemaker
cluster. So I don't have to fiddle with multipathing and all that stuff.
Have someone already tested this somewhere and can tell how the cluster
reacts on this?
I think this shouldn't be problem, but I'm just wondering if there's
anything that I'm not aware of?
I do think it will work. You might need to disable the exclusive-lock
feature, but I'm not sure of it.

I thought I heard somebody using it a while back, but I don't know
exactly anymore.

Wido
Post by Kai Wagner
Thanks
Kai
Lars Marowsky-Bree
2018-02-06 16:54:30 UTC
Post by Kai Wagner
I had the idea to use a RBD device as the SBD device for a pacemaker
cluster. So I don't have to fiddle with multipathing and all that stuff.
Have someone already tested this somewhere and can tell how the cluster
reacts on this?
SBD should work on top of RBD; any shared block device will do. I'd
recommend slightly higher timeouts than normal; check how/if the Ceph
cluster blocks IO during recovery.

Regards,
Lars
Steffen Weißgerber
2018-02-07 10:17:02 UTC
Hello Kai,

we use RBD's as part of pacemaker resource groups for 2 years on Hammer
with no
problems.

The resource is always configured in active/passive mode due to the
fact that the
filesystem is not cluster aware. Therefore during switchover the RBD's
are unmapped
cleanly on the active node before the resource moves.

Regards

Steffen
Post by Kai Wagner
Hi all,
I had the idea to use a RBD device as the SBD device for a pacemaker
cluster. So I don't have to fiddle with multipathing and all that stuff.
Have someone already tested this somewhere and can tell how the cluster
reacts on this?
I think this shouldn't be problem, but I'm just wondering if there's
anything that I'm not aware of?
Thanks
Kai
HRB