[ceph-users] ceph-mgr not able to modify max_misplaced in 12.2.4
nokia ceph
2018-04-27 06:03:30 UTC
Hi Team,

I was trying to modify the max_misplaced parameter in 12.2.4 as per
documentation , however not able to modify it with following error,

#ceph config set mgr mgr/balancer/max_misplaced .06
Invalid command: unused arguments: [u'.06']
config set <key> <value> : Set a configuration option at runtime (not
persistent)
Error EINVAL: invalid command

Also, where I can find the balancer module configuration file , not
available in /var/lib/ceph/mgr

cn6.chn6m1c1ru1c1.cdn ~# cd /var/lib/ceph/mgr/
cn6.chn6m1c1ru1c1.cdn /var/lib/ceph/mgr# ls
cn6.chn6m1c1ru1c1.cdn /var/lib/ceph/mgr#

Thanks,
Muthu
John Spray
2018-04-27 14:24:01 UTC
Post by nokia ceph
Hi Team,
I was trying to modify the max_misplaced parameter in 12.2.4 as per
documentation , however not able to modify it with following error,
#ceph config set mgr mgr/balancer/max_misplaced .06
Invalid command: unused arguments: [u'.06']
config set <key> <value> : Set a configuration option at runtime (not
persistent)
Error EINVAL: invalid command
Oops - the docs were added recently for the master branch, and there
isn't a luminous version online. I suspect you won't be the last
person to be caught out by this, so I've created a backport of the
luminous-era commands here that will pop up on
docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous when it's merged --
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21699/files

Anyway: the command in 12.x is "ceph config-key set
mgr/balancer/max_misplaced ..."
Post by nokia ceph
Also, where I can find the balancer module configuration file , not
available in /var/lib/ceph/mgr
ceph-mgr module config is not stored in local files -- their
configuration is stored inside the monitors + accessed with commands.

The module config in mimic is mostly unified with the main ceph store
of configuration, so setting module config via ceph.conf may become
possible soon, but commands are always preferable because they give us
a chance to validate the values on the way in and give feedback.

John
nokia ceph
2018-05-03 07:20:21 UTC
Hi John Spray,

Now I am able to update the max_misplaced parameter successfully and
validating it.

We are using balancer with mode upmap and it starts redistributing the PGs.
We observed like the backfilling wait increases a lot , can we create any
plan in balancer to restrict the PG backfilling wait and inject PG
redistribution in a controlled way or any throttle mechanism we can add to
the balancer.
cluster:
id: 82691def-be37-4209-9872-141be7954791
health: HEALTH_WARN
492230/67412085 objects misplaced (0.730%)

services:
mon: 3 daemons, quorum SGI-CN1,SGI-CN2,SGI-CN3
mgr: SGI-CN2(active), standbys: SGI-CN3, SGI-CN1
osd: 120 osds: 120 up, 120 in; 40 remapped pgs

data:
pools: 1 pools, 4096 pgs
objects: 21944k objects, 236 TB
usage: 357 TB used, 297 TB / 654 TB avail
pgs: 492230/67412085 objects misplaced (0.730%)
4056 active+clean
34 active+remapped+backfill_wait
6 active+remapped+backfilling

increases over time..

pgs: 756333/68870031 objects misplaced (1.098%)
4026 active+clean
59 active+remapped+backfill_wait
11 active+remapped+backfilling

Thanks,