[ceph-users] can we drop support of centos/rhel 7.4?
kefu chai
2018-09-14 02:48:23 UTC
hi ceph-{maintainers,users,developers},

recently, i ran into an issue[0] which popped up when we build Ceph on
centos 7.5, but test it on centos 7.4. as we know, the gperftools-libs
package provides the tcmalloc allocator shared library, but centos 7.4
and centos 7.5 ship different version of gperftools-{devel,libs}. the
former ships 2.4, and the latter 2.6.1.

the crux is that the tcmalloc in gperftools 2.6.1 implements more
standard compliant C++ APIs, which were missing in gperftools 2.4.
that's why we have failures like:

ceph-osd: symbol lookup error: ceph-osd: undefined symbol: _ZdaPvm

when testing Ceph on centos 7.4.

my question is: is it okay to drop the support of centos/rhel 7.4? so
we will solely build and test the supported Ceph releases (luminous,
mimic) on 7.5 ?

thanks,

--
[0] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/35969
Kefu Chai
John Spray
2018-09-14 09:12:30 UTC
Post by kefu chai
hi ceph-{maintainers,users,developers},
recently, i ran into an issue[0] which popped up when we build Ceph on
centos 7.5, but test it on centos 7.4. as we know, the gperftools-libs
package provides the tcmalloc allocator shared library, but centos 7.4
and centos 7.5 ship different version of gperftools-{devel,libs}. the
former ships 2.4, and the latter 2.6.1.
the crux is that the tcmalloc in gperftools 2.6.1 implements more
standard compliant C++ APIs, which were missing in gperftools 2.4.
ceph-osd: symbol lookup error: ceph-osd: undefined symbol: _ZdaPvm
when testing Ceph on centos 7.4.
my question is: is it okay to drop the support of centos/rhel 7.4? so
we will solely build and test the supported Ceph releases (luminous,
mimic) on 7.5 ?
My preference would be to target the latest minor release (i.e. 7.5)
of the major release. We don't test on CentOS 7.1, 7.2 etc, so I
don't think we need to give 7.4 any special treatment.

John
Post by kefu chai
thanks,
Kefu Chai
David Turner
2018-09-14 13:25:56 UTC
Release dates
RHEL 7.4 - July 2017
Luminous 12.2.0 - August 2017
CentOS 7.4 - September 2017
RHEL 7.5 - April 2018
CentOS 7.5 - May 2018
Mimic 13.2.0 - June 2018

In the world of sysadmins it takes time to let new releases/OS's simmer
before beginning to test them let alone upgrading to them. It is not
possible to tell all companies that use CentOS that we have to move to a
new OS upgrade 5 months after it is released. We are still testing if
CentOS 7.5 works in our infrastructure in general let alone being up and
running on it. The kernel upgrades alone are a big change now to mention
the obvious package version changes. We don't even have the OK to install
it in staging. Once we do, and we have the time to start testing it,
...among our other tasks, we can start regression testing our use case in
staging before thinking about upgrading prod.

That time frame isn't really so bad if everything is working great for
ceph, but what if we're waiting on 12.2.9 and 13.2.2 for a bugfix that's
giving us grief? Now we are not only dealing with the bugs, but now we have
to regression test an OS upgrade, update our package management, and make
sure our new deployments will have this version... And then we can start
regression testing the new release that hopefully fixes the bugs we're
dealing with...

What about backporting the API standards to the CentOS 7.4 version of
gperftools-libs?

I've noticed little package issues like this in the past, but assumed that
was because most development was done on Ubuntu instead of RHEL. We had to
set our repos to a newer version of CentOS than we were running or willing
to upgrade to just for a single package we needed. If y'all are really
thinking of only supporting/testing the latest dot release of the latest
major version of RHEL, then you might have just given me the fuel to be
able to finally convince my company into allowing us to be the first
application in 9,000 servers to not run CentOS. I've been trying to get
them to allow it for a while because of the previous package issues, but I
hadn't put much effort into it because I thought/hoped those problems might
be behind us...

Do y'all not test ceph on 7.3 right now? This email thread really might be
enough to get us off of CentOS for Ceph.
Post by John Spray
Post by kefu chai
[...]
Post by kefu chai
thanks,
David Turner
2018-09-14 13:29:59 UTC
It's odd to me because this feels like the opposite direction of the rest
of Ceph. Making management and operating Ceph simpler and easier. Requiring
fast OS upgrades on dot releases of Ceph versions is not that direction at
all.
Post by John Spray
Post by kefu chai
[...]
Post by kefu chai
thanks,
John Spray
2018-09-14 14:07:38 UTC
Post by David Turner
[...]
From the comments on http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/35969, I think
Kefu is still proposing to work around this in Ceph's build (i.e. to
fix this so that our packages still work on centOS 7.4).

Ideally, distros maintain ABI compatibility such that the packages we
test on one minor version will also work on another -- that hasn't
happened in the 7.4->7.5 transition for gperftools. That's annoying,
but it's also kind of a special case, and we hopefully won't encounter
issues like this particularly frequently within a major release. If
we move away from using 7.4 for the main build/test cycle, that
doesn't mean we wouldn't also be accepting fixes to keep it working on
older releases (although it of course relies on someone noticing
if/when it breaks).
Post by David Turner
[...]
There is a set of permutations in qa/distros, used in
qa/suites/buildpackages/ -- I'm not sure exactly what's run when
though (possibly some only at release time?), perhaps someone more
familiar with exactly what tests are run before a release could chime
in.

John
Post by David Turner
Post by John Spray
Post by kefu chai
[...]
Post by kefu chai
thanks,
kefu chai
2018-09-14 14:27:44 UTC
Post by John Spray
Post by David Turner
[...]
Yeah, David, I hear you =) i just wanted to explorer all options
before working on a workaround on Ceph side.
Post by John Spray
From the comments on http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/35969, I think
Kefu is still proposing to work around this in Ceph's build (i.e. to
fix this so that our packages still work on centOS 7.4).
True, that's the plan A prime. =)
Post by David Turner
What about backporting the API standards to the CentOS 7.4 version of gperftools-libs?
we was trying to asking the downstream maintainers to update
gperftools-libs in latest CentOS. i guess that's why we have 2.6 in
CentOS 7.5. =D anyway, no worries, i will fix this issue on Ceph as i
proposed in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/35969 .
Post by John Spray
Post by David Turner
[...]
by looking at the qa/ directory, i found that supported-random-distro%
a very popular facet:

- master (nautilus in future):
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/qa/distros/supported-random-distro%24
-- centos 7.4, rhel 7.5, ubuntu {18.04, 16.04}
- mimic: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/mimic/qa/distros/supported-random-distro%24
-- centos 7.4, rhel 7.5, ubuntu {18.04, 16.04}
- luminous: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/luminous/qa/distros/supported
-- centos 7.4, , ubuntu {14.04, 16.04}
Post by John Spray
John
Post by David Turner
Post by John Spray
Post by kefu chai
[...]
Post by kefu chai
thanks,
Kefu Chai
Marc Roos
2018-09-14 13:35:27 UTC
I agree. I was on centos7.4 and updated to I think luminous 12.2.7, and
had something not working related to some python dependancy. This was
resolved by upgrading to centos7.5

Post by kefu chai
standard compliant C++ APIs, which were missing in
gperftools 2.4.
_ZdaPvm
Post by kefu chai
mimic) on 7.5 ?
My preference would be to target the latest minor release
(i.e. 7.5)
of the major release. We don't test on CentOS 7.1, 7.2 etc,
so I
don't think we need to give 7.4 any special treatment.

John
Post by kefu chai
thanks,
Ken Dreyer
2018-09-24 15:39:17 UTC
Post by kefu chai
my question is: is it okay to drop the support of centos/rhel 7.4? so
we will solely build and test the supported Ceph releases (luminous,
mimic) on 7.5 ?
CentOS itself does not support old point releases, and I don't think
we should imply that we do either.

From #centos-devel earlier:

< fidencio> TrevorH: avij: do you know whether there's an offical EOL
announcement for 6.9?
< avij> fidencio: it happens every time there's a 6.(x+1) release
< avij> it's always implied
< avij> RH has some support for past RHEL releases, but there's no such
mechanism in CentOS

- Ken
kefu chai
2018-09-25 12:17:19 UTC
Post by Ken Dreyer
Post by kefu chai
my question is: is it okay to drop the support of centos/rhel 7.4? so
we will solely build and test the supported Ceph releases (luminous,
mimic) on 7.5 ?
CentOS itself does not support old point releases, and I don't think
we should imply that we do either.
< fidencio> TrevorH: avij: do you know whether there's an offical EOL
announcement for 6.9?
< avij> fidencio: it happens every time there's a 6.(x+1) release
< avij> it's always implied
< avij> RH has some support for past RHEL releases, but there's no such
mechanism in CentOS
thanks for the insights, Ken. as suggested by Brad, the issue was
fixed by bumping up the required gperftools-lib version. assuming both
CentOS/RHEL 7.4 and 7.5 have access to the gperftools-lib whose
version is the same with that of gperftools-devel, which we use to
build Ceph rpm packages.
--
Regards
Kefu Chai