Newbie question
Andy Paluch
2013-10-02 15:10:46 UTC
What happens when a drive goes bad in ceph and has to be replaced (at
the physical level) . In the Raid world you pop out the bad disk and
stick a new one in and the controller takes care of getting it back into
the system. With what I've been reading so far, it probably going be a
mess to do this with ceph and involve a lot of low level linux tweaking
to remove and replace the disk that failed. Not a big Linux guy so was
wondering if anyone can point to any docs on how to recover from a bad
disk in a ceph node.

Thanks
Scottix
2013-10-02 17:37:27 UTC
I actually am looking for a similar answer. If 1 osd = 1 HDD, in dumpling
it will relocate the data for me after the timeout which is great. If I
just want to replace the osd with an unformated new HDD what is the
procedure?

One method that has worked for me is to remove it out of the crush map then
re add the osd drive to the cluster. This works but seems like a lot of
overhead just to replace a single drive. Is there a better way to do this?
What happens when a drive goes bad in ceph and has to be replaced (at the
physical level) . In the Raid world you pop out the bad disk and stick a
new one in and the controller takes care of getting it back into the
system. With what I've been reading so far, it probably going be a mess to
do this with ceph and involve a lot of low level linux tweaking to remove
and replace the disk that failed. Not a big Linux guy so was wondering if
anyone can point to any docs on how to recover from a bad disk in a ceph
node.
Thanks
Scottix at Gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Along the lines of this thread, if I have OSD(s) on rotational HDD(s), but have the journal(s) going to an SSD, I am curious about the best procedure for replacing the SSD should it fail.

-Joe

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Andy Paluch <andy at webguyz.net<mailto:andy at webguyz.net>> wrote:
What happens when a drive goes bad in ceph and has to be replaced (at the physical level) . In the Raid world you pop out the bad disk and stick a new one in and the controller takes care of getting it back into the system. With what I've been reading so far, it probably going be a mess to do this with ceph and involve a lot of low level linux tweaking to remove and replace the disk that failed. Not a big Linux guy so was wondering if anyone can point to any docs on how to recover from a bad disk in a ceph node.

Thanks

Follow Me: @Scottix<http://www.twitter.com/scottix>
http://about.me/scottix
Scottix at Gmail.com<mailto:Scottix at Gmail.com>

Thanks
Scottix

Thanks
Scottix