[ceph-users] hammer (0.94.1) - still getting feature set mismatch for cephfs mount requests
Nikola Ciprich
2015-04-20 10:33:39 UTC
Hello,

I'm quite new to ceph, so please forgive my ignorance.
Yesterday, I've deployed small test cluster (3 nodes, 2 SATA + 1 SSD OSD / node)

I enabled MDS server and created cephfs data + metadata pools and created
filesystem.

However upon mount requests, I'm getting following error:

[Apr20 10:09] libceph: mon0 10.0.0.1:6789 feature set mismatch, my 2b84a042aca < server's 102b84a042aca, missing 1000000000000

This two threads seem related to me:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg17406.html
("protocol feature mismatch" after upgrading to Hammer)

and
http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg17445.html
(crush issues in v0.94 hammer)

but I'm using 0.94.1 on all nodes (and 3.18.11) kernel
and am still getting those errors, which to my understanding
I shouldn't be..

What should I check please?

In case it could help, my crushmap can be checked here:

http://nik.lbox.cz/download/ceph/crushmap.txt

with best regards

nik
--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH

tel.: +420 591 166 214
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799
www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: ***@linuxbox.cz
-------------------------------------
Ilya Dryomov
2015-04-20 11:05:22 UTC
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Nikola Ciprich
Post by Nikola Ciprich
[...]
Have you set your crush tunables to hammer?

Your crushmap has straw2 buckets (alg straw2). That's going to be
supported in 4.1 kernel - when 3.18 was released none of the straw2
stuff existed.

You should be able to change "alg straw2" to "alg straw" and that
should make it work with 3.18 kernel.

Thanks,

Ilya
Nikola Ciprich
2015-04-20 11:10:42 UTC
Hello Ilya,
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Have you set your crush tunables to hammer?
I've set crush tunables to optimal (therefore I guess they got set
to hammer).
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Your crushmap has straw2 buckets (alg straw2). That's going to be
supported in 4.1 kernel - when 3.18 was released none of the straw2
stuff existed.
I see.. maybe this is a bit too radical setting for "optimal" preset?
Post by Ilya Dryomov
You should be able to change "alg straw2" to "alg straw" and that
should make it work with 3.18 kernel.
It indeed helped! Thanks!

BR

nik
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Thanks,
Ilya
--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH

tel.: +420 591 166 214
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799
www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: ***@linuxbox.cz
-------------------------------------
Ilya Dryomov
2015-04-20 11:27:22 UTC
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Nikola Ciprich
Post by Nikola Ciprich
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Your crushmap has straw2 buckets (alg straw2). That's going to be
supported in 4.1 kernel - when 3.18 was released none of the straw2
stuff existed.
I see.. maybe this is a bit too radical setting for "optimal" preset?
Well, it depends on how you look at it. Generally optimal is something
that is the best or most desirable, and for hammer cluster it's going
to be hammer tunables ;) You have to remember that kernel client is
just another client as far as ceph concerned.

Thanks,

Ilya
Nikola Ciprich
2015-04-20 11:53:50 UTC
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Post by Nikola Ciprich
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Your crushmap has straw2 buckets (alg straw2). That's going to be
supported in 4.1 kernel - when 3.18 was released none of the straw2
stuff existed.
I see.. maybe this is a bit too radical setting for "optimal" preset?
Well, it depends on how you look at it. Generally optimal is something
that is the best or most desirable, and for hammer cluster it's going
to be hammer tunables ;) You have to remember that kernel client is
just another client as far as ceph concerned.
yes, this makes sense and it's pretty easy to fix in case of need

thanks for your time!
Post by Ilya Dryomov
Thanks,
Ilya